10/22/06

V for Vendetta (2005)

Natalie Portman (Evey), Hugo Weaving (V), Stephen Rea (Finch), John Hurt (Sutler)

Directed by James McTeigue

From IMDB: "A shadowy freedom fighter known only as 'V' uses terrorist tactics to fight against his totalitarian society. Upon rescuing a girl from the secret police, he also finds his best chance at having an ally." Based on the graphic novel by the perpetually cranky Alan Moore.

I wasted too much time watching this tripe; do I have to review it, too? The screenplay is a ridiculous pastiche of Moore's original story and current US policies, both domestic and international, the result of which is an insipid and inconsistent movie. Just because you show shots of Big Ben and folks in a pub does not make a film about Brits. Pick a locale: London or some pseudo-American political landscape. Pick a villain: Muslims or homosexuals. Pick an accent, Natalie: faux-British or painful faux-British. I will always have a soft spot for the former Mathilda, especially when she gets agitated and cries, but other, supporting cast members held her aloft, albeit inconsistently. Hers was not a performance worthy of lead status.

Speaking of performances, funny when the actor in the mask is the most subtle and nuanced performer of the bunch. I just didn't buy any of it, not as symbol or commentary or invective against Bush. I tried to remember that Moore wrote his novel as a diatribe against Thatcher, which would have made more sense, obviously, but the film sucked the life out of whatever message he may have conveyed. I am thankful that I have not actually read the original because that would have made the viewing experience all the more tedious - unnecessary, really, as this was bad enough.

Beyond the absurd retooling, plot holes abounded and became more glaring and upsetting as Keven and I discussed the film afterwards. The foreshadowing was as delicate as a flying mallet, the graphics were cheesy and not even comic-book cool, and the entire enterprise plodded along without a consistent tone. Humor? Kitsch? Romance? Action? Superheroes? Oh, for gosh sake just pick something.

Only Hugo made me smile. But I can find him in Babe or The Matrix. You know... good films.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Well, you made it further than Jessica and I did, we gave up and turned it off about half an hour in.

In retrospect, the (mis)explaination of Guy Fawkes should have been more of a warning.

Mircalla said...

... Can I say: I told you?


: )

Diva Kitty's Mom said...

After 5 min. into the film I could tell why Purefoy ran from the set to do Rome.