12/11/06

Call for Recs -- Holiday Fiction

Ok, Smart Bitches, I have nothing to gripe about today. I guess I spayed all my bad thoughts throughout this weekend's posts. We decorated our Christmas tree yesterday, I'm clicking along on my word count and edits, and the house is not a shambles.

However, I have nothing to contribute with regard to reading. The holidays are not conducive, for me, to sitting alone with my nose in a book. Also, I tend to associate this time with my favorite films of the season: It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Scrooged, A Christmas Story, Scrooge (Alastair Sim's best and definitive version of the Dickens' novel), etc.

So lay it on me: what are your favorite romancess (or even literary works) set during the holiday season? Give me something to put in my TBR pile for next year, if not this December.

5 comments:

jmc said...

I love Carla Kelly's trad Marian's Christmas Wish. And any of her short stories in the myriad Signet Christmas anthologies.

Christopher Moore's The Stupidest Angel is good, too, although it is not typical Christmas fare.

Pacze Moj said...

Wow. The only book about Christmas I can think of off the top of my head is an edited collection of sci-fi stories taken from Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine called: Isaac Asimov's Christmas.

And, even then, it's only because I remember thinking what a weird premise for a short story collection that was!

There's also a Joe Christmas in Light in August...

Do those count?

:P

Anonymous said...

i used to read (and really liked) asimov when i was a teenager...

during xmas holidays i tend to watch old films. yesterday, for example, i watched *pygmalion* and the other day the *snow of kilimangiaro*.

last year i went to the royal albert hall to listen to carols. this year i am going to watch the *nutcrackers* with two girlfriends. : )

other classics i would recommend are *nightmare before xmas* and the *snowman*.

then there are the new releases: *pan's labyrinth* (review soon available in my blog) makes xmas in its own way: bringing the mythological world to life in a very difficult period of the spanish history...

i have never seen *white xmas* (shame on me), or, if i did, i watched it many many years ago and in italian... which doesn't count...

Anonymous said...

I got nothing. I avoid holiday anthologies like the plague and themed novels as well.

But I do want to see the movie The Holidays with Jude Law and Jack Black. And y'know, those girls, Kate and Cameron.

Fang Bastardson said...

I don't do the holidays. I try to hold my breath between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day, so let me take a diffferent tack:

My wife, the literary figure in our family (in a manner of speaking) absolutely raves about "My Year of Meats," by whom I know not, and "Almanac of the Dead" by Leslie Marmion Silko.

In "Almanac..." I'm told it's a story about how all bad things that do not originate from Tucson, Ariz., end up there. As a Recovering Tucsonan, I can vouch for that.

I'm bathroom-reading "Fargo Rock City" by Chuck Klosterman right now. Excellent reading if you grew up in the 80s going to heavy metal shows.

Have you read "Watchmen" by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons? F-ing amazing.

Hope this has been helpful. Sign me Mr. Grinch...