1/19/07

HP -- The Ongoing Saga

My verbatim e-mail exchange this morning (what a shitty way to wake up):
I sincerely apologize that wrong information was send to you in error. Instead of $270 the repairing cost of the product is 115$.
This does not change the fact that your proposed repairs make no sense. I bought the iPod for $77.76. I could, right now, go out and buy a new model Shuffle for a comprable price. Why would I want to go to the trouble of sending this broken Shuffle to you and pay for repairs?
As mentioned in the mail that the date of purchase is 26th March 2006.iPods sold after September 2005 were refurbished and carries a warranty of 90 days.The serial number which I have is CNH52905S70 which contains 11 character where as should be of either 10 or 12 characters.Please recheck the serial number and forward us which will help us to check the current warranty status of the product and serve you better.
I am becoming frustrated with the amount of repetition I am having to endure with these e-mails. I provided the serial number in the FIRST e-mail I sent through the HP web form. Why didn't anyone mention yesterday that a) the serial number looked incorrect, or b) that you believe the product to be refurbished?

First of all, the serial number reads two different ways depending on the source. The number on the back of the machine reads CNH52905S7, while the read out from iTunes adds the extra "0" at the end to make it 11 characters. Apple's website (not HP's, I know) lists their Shuffle serial numbers with 11 characters.

Second, I bought this Shuffle new from Sam's Club, a retail store. They do not sell refurbished goods. The Shuffle was in its original packaging and in no way indicated that the product was USED -- which is what REFURBISHED really means.
Incase the product would be under warranty we will go ahead and repair or replace it free of cost. and if the product will not be under warranty we need to choose out of warranty option that will cost you $115.
Why are you bringing up two options here? You just finished telling me that the product is out of warranty. Which one is it? I have a broken Shuffle that is less than 9 months old and YOUR company built the thing. Should I be angry at Apple for sub contracting the manufacture of their products to a company with inferior customer service, namely HP? Yes. But ultimately, the responsibility for correcting this issue rests with HP.
I completely understand your concern. You are very correct on your approach. The new iPods are quite cheaper then repairing your current one. The reason for the heavy repairing charges is due to expensive material, labor, and shipping charges which is actually increasing the servicing cost.
So that's your answer? The product I bought is a disposeable piece of junk and I should go about buying a NEW ONE? Why would I do such a thing? Why would I want to set myself up for another hassle like this in nine months' time when the new one breaks, too?
I hope you understand the situation. I assure you that your situation is not indicative of the quality service HP Total Care is capable of providing. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.

I hope you understand the situation. I assure you that your situation is not indicative of the quality service HP Total Care is capable of providing. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.
Quit pasting e-mails together and answer my concerns. If you cannot do so, please forward this e-mail to someone who can. I am getting tired of how frustrating this situation has become, and my impression of both HP and Apple have suffered because of my treatment.

UPDATE:
On reading your reply and after going through all the previous communications we had I am sorry to inform you that the ipod with the serial number CNH52905S70 is out of warranty. We have gone through all the case details and also validitate the warranty updater and found that the ipod 512 MB shuffle is out of warranty.
How are you determining that the product is out of warranty? I bought it on 26 March 06. That means I have owned and used this iPod for less than one year, and therefore it should still be covered by the one year guarantee. Your determination seems arbitrary, in that you probably know when it was MANUFACTURED. That has little bearing on when the device was initially purchased and put into use.

By that rationale, if an iPod sat on a shelf -- unpurchased -- for 10 months after its initial creation, the customer warranty would be reduced to two months. How would a customer know how much their warranty would be shortened? Ridiculous.
We have created service for the same and the case ID is 7336644334. Carrie, if you want the ipod to be repaired then we have to follow the out of warranty option which is a paid service.
I do not want it repaired. I want it **replaced**. Apple has a replacement policy when products they create are deemed faulty within one year of purcahse, so why shoudln't HP when you manufacture the same product?? This has been a huge waste of my time.
You may receive an e-mail survey regarding your e-mail support experience. We would appreciate your feedback.
At this moment, you do NOT want me to answer a survey. Your support has been frustrating, ineffective, and ultimately useless. Please send this e-mail to your superiors, someone who can redress my concerns without more chatter and silly suggestions.

Carrie Lofty

7 comments:

Jess said...

KICK SOME ASS CARRIE!!!

Erin O'Brien said...

I so feel your pain. My iPod blew up THREE times within one year of purchase. Effers kept sending me a "refurbed" model. I finally bitched loud and long enough to get a replacement.

Aw hell, let's just go have a drink and deal with it in the morning.

carrie_lofty said...

Edna, I don't know who you are, but I like your way of thinking :D Welcome!

BTW, they confirmed the darn thing is still under warranty -- duh! -- but I have yet to see what the next step is.....

Tess said...

Just reading your story made my blood pressure rise.

I dealt w/customer service recently trying to use a Borders gift card to order from Amazon--which the web site said you can do. The gentleman on the phone--who sounded suspiciously Indian--spent nearly a half an hour making dumb suggestions before he realized I needed to call Borders (they solved the problem in 5 minutes). WHY do companies think they can skimp on customer service? It just makes people very, very angry.

carrie_lofty said...

I don't mind them being Indian, but it cracks me up when they insist on using English names :) And I always always wonder what time it is where they are...

Jessica said...

You might try reading these links for some tips on getting better customer service results:

http://consumerist.com/consumer/howto/wrangling-customer-service-101-209780.php
http://consumerist.com/consumer/consumerist-kit/results-driven-complaining-216444.php
http://consumerist.com/consumer/howto/howto-draft-a-good-complaint-letter-205899.php
http://consumerist.com/consumer/consumerist-kit/howto-call-a-company-get-the-ceos-office-213412.php

Good luck!

Fang Bastardson said...

Wow, what a nightmare! I've never had such problems with Mac products; what you describe is more like what I encounter when dealing with web host difficulties.

My after-the-fact advice on tech purchases is one, don't buy the first version of anything, they're always buggy; don't buy the bottom-of-the-line model (a mistake I recently made with a DVD-player purchase which turned out to be a POS); and definitely don't go Sam's Club for your tech purchases. Get 'em directly from the manufacturer, or an electronics specialty store.

My wife got me a middle-of-the-line iPod for xmas a couple years ago from Apple, and it's been delightful. She even got it engraved! And my Mac desktop was purchased from a local big-box electronics store, and when it melted down 18 months later, they gave me an upgraded loaner that very day while they repaired my unit. AND transferred all my data while I waited.

I'm telling you, where tech is concerned, it pays off big-time in the long run to pay a little more up front.

Now I just wish she had gotten me one of the larger-capacity iPods.

Good luck! You don't need this stress...