1/30/07

Kid Break

Ballet last night went just fine. Ilsa zipped into class and took her place in the circle, barely giving me a second glance as I returned to my spot in parent exile -- the hallway. For Juliette's class, the two instructors took the girls across the floor in pairs, one on each side of an adult, to make sure they kept an even pace and paid attention to technique. I saw the teacher actually ask Juliette to come back a few paces and try again. Dude! Good job!

And in lieu of a more complex post, I've decided to display a bit of kiddie art. It's been a while. I fear that, like Tess, non-parents will not realize the value of these particular little masterpieces. Each displays a new aspect of the girls' progress, but at best, you can squint your eyes sideways and vaguely see their point. But I like them, this is my blog, and posting them here will help them last.

Ilsa fascinates me, or more accurately, the differences between Ilsa and Juliette fascinate me. They are exposed to the same environment, have the same genetic contributors, and spend 98% of their time together, but -- surprise! -- they're different people. Take Ilsa's drawings:This is a person on a stage. Notice the lights shining down from above, and the profusion of frickin' fingers and toes! Every person she draws has at least five, if not more. Always. And the words are supposed to say "Paper Person," but she's an obsessive O-filler. I love how she makes circles, over and over, to indicate the substance of the body and head. A far cry from the stick figures she produced only a few months ago.

And here is another creation, a spaceship with a ladder from the ground. The little man down low is wearing a helmet, one that covers his eyes to protect them from the rocket's fire. Until Juliette saw the movie Cars, she never drew mechanical things, so this was a fun treat from Ilsa. A nice change from Juliette's standard animals and flowers, and a foray into Ilsa's future as an engineer.

And to give you an idea of Juliette's current artistic style, I present a picture of Hadoo and Hammie, two of her stuffed animals. Obviously, because Hammie is a mascot for West Ham and Haddo wears the flag of Britain on his sweater, they play footie. Notice the goal in the background.

In other news, Keven and I didn't finish Beowulf & Grendel. A disappointment despite Gerard Butler's Viking hotness.

7 comments:

Ann(ie) said...

I appreciate their art. I set up a blog for my daughter so I can post her stories (yes, she writes!) and pictures (she wants to be an artist) so that family far away can see it. It's all done in pink and Hello Kitty. Tres chic!

Mircalla said...

"a foray into Ilsa's future as an engineer"

?!?

carrie_lofty said...

She has a very technical mind, very methodical. She finds patience for manual chores that most kids her age cannot muster. She loves patterns, puzzles, and counting. Because of all this -- as opposed to Juliette's very artistic pursuits and wide-ranging imagination -- we just assume Ilsa will lean toward a technical, logic-based profession like engineering. Which will be nice -- she can help support Juliette's career as a starving artist.

Tess said...

I am always amazed by your girls' drawings.

Diva Kitty's said...

I'm eagerly anticipating Gerard's leather loincloth hotness in the 300.

Kate R said...

okay that's some wonderful stuff your daughter's created.

Do not let most art teachers get hold of her. (The Mrs. Tierneys of the world, yes, but the Mrs Butt-face [don't remember her real name, not sure my kid uses it]absolutely not)

BTW, you're wrong about marmite. Thin layer on bread and butter is teh best evah.

Keven said...

Why settle for thin layers?