1/23/07

Things That Suck

I don't generally hop online and sing the praises of good days, so take my following foul-tempered rant for what it is -- a release of frustrations.

First, the kids. Sick. Fatigued. Terrors. I think the whining gets to me the most. I have a mountain of laundry to do since they both had accidents last night. Few things are creepier than having a child with wet pajamas crawl in bed with me first thing in the morning. Let alone the second one trailing behind. Things are so bad that we're resorting to naps this afternoon. Mommy needs a break. *headache*

Second, I received another rejection. "I have to say that your cover letter was outstanding -- it piqued my interest right away. Unfortunately, though, I felt the pacing was a bit slow in the first opening pages and the storyline not as strong as other projects we are currently considering."

Dammit. I wanted that one.

I will post later about good things -- last night's ballet class and the fact my car started this morning despite having left the cabin light on all night -- when I am in a better humor. Right now, toasters waffles and the couch beckon.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Sorry you're having a crappy morning. This, too, shall pass.

Ann(ie) said...

If you hadn't already been having a bad day, I think you would have felt differently about this rejection.

Look at what you did well. You got their attention with your cover letter. That's pretty rare, and it means you know what you're doing in that regard. Most manuscripts don't even get out of the slush pile because the authors don't know how to write query / cover letters. Finally, she actually read your work and sent you a personal rejection instead of a form one. She told you what bothered her about the manuscript.

Whether it's fixable, I don't know. I agree with her to a point. SS is certainly more celebral than most historical romances I've read. I'm not knocking on it for that because it's possible to combine the two, but I think it's adjunct to the beardy narrator, the distance that sometimes creeps in as you describe events instead of making us feel them in a visceral fashion.

Take this as encouragement. You're on the right track and maybe SS is a practice book. I don't say it is, the next editor may snap it up, as it's a subjective business. But don't get down if it doesn't happen this time. As they say, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

So hit the road, sweet thang. ;)

carrie_lofty said...

*smooches* to you both

I've had a few hours to chill out -- kids in bed, kids in the bath -- so things are settling back into place.

The problems I had with this rejection are a) it's the first time I've submitted something where I've written the whole damn novel, b) it's the first time I've thought I actually knew what I was doing, c) it's the first time other people have read the thing and agreed that it was good, engaging, worth reading, and d) it's the first time I've REALLY wanted it. In the past, I've gone about writing on a lark. This is serious to me now, and I want it. Not getting it... sucks. Writing a first book is like the world's longest job interview, except for maybe singers and actors.

That said, you're right of course. I love that I got her attention. I love that she gave it her time and thought. That serves as proof that I've learned *something* in the last six months.

Even better, I love that I've already taken all of this to heart. None of this is a surprise -- disappointing, because I still think Serenade is well worth reading, but not a surprise. If RWS is anything, it's a novel that will reflect my attempt to remedy the IT'S SO SLOW feedback.

Tess said...

Congratulations on your rejection! It's great to know you're on the right track with your cover letter. And I totally feel your pain over the "first chapters move slowly" comment.

If it makes you feel any better, I have the utmost confidence that you will succeed sooner or later. I was just telling my husband the other day that I was impressed with your hard work and professionalism.