3/1/07

Random Bits

I wrote a post on the history of alchemy (part one) over at Unusual Historicals. Exciting stuff! Ha ha...

Today, we will venture into the world. I have not left our complex since Tuesday before last, and that was to buy cold medicine for the girls. They haven't been anywhere since Saturday before last. Let's see if I remember how to get places. Or drive.

My agent search has been a shitty ordeal thus far, with seven straight rejections. A friend of mine was trying to console me about the wording of those rejections, a number of which read like: "I have a heavy work load at the moment and can't give your work the attention it deserves." She said that meant Serenade is good, but they don't have the time. Nope. I know the truth. If it was good enough, they'd MAKE time. So I'll keep plugging at it, which is all I can do.

In the meantime, RWS is going well. Meg's a right mess and Will's a sweetie. Too sweet, probably, but that's what a first draft is for. My progress meters are back up and running -- yay! -- and I'm creeping in on 40,000 words. That's what 1,200 a day will get me. I'm back on the horse and looking forward to writing the next few set pieces, where I plan to quote bits from The Princess Bride for a solid week. Have fun storming the castle. There is but one working castle gate. Death first! My brains, his steel, and your strength against sixty men, and you think a little head jiggle is supposed to make me happy? Hmm?

Current play list for RWS: "Protection" by Massive Attack, "Four Walls" by Charlotte Martin, "More" by Tara McLean, "Start the Machine" by Angels & Airwaves, "(Everything I Do) I Do it for You" by Bryan Adams (duh!), "Can't Let It Go" by Goo Goo Dolls, "Tango to Evora" by Loreena McKennitt, "So Sweet" by Johnathan Rice, "Dead Wrong" by The Fray, "Trouble Sleeping" by The Perishers, "East of Eden" by Big Country, and "Always a Woman" by Billy Joel.

I'm thoroughly addicted to "American Idol" this year, after having inexplicably shunned it last year. Melinda Doolittle is the bestest best in the world. She's about the only one whose name I know. Everyone I give nicknames. Punk girl. Cute black guy. Indian dude. New Jersey ho. Why bother learning some of their real names when they won't be around next week?

3 comments:

Mircalla said...

"They haven't been anywhere since Saturday before last."

this may partly justify why the girls misbehavied...

did you manage to erase the drawings or do you need to repaint over?

Ann(ie) said...

Hunting for an agent sucks. Sometimes having an agent sucks as well. But in order to get your stuff in front of the right editors, you will put up with a lot that sucks.

Wow, I'm a ray of sunshine today, aren't I?

Tess said...

Good luck with your agent search. I feel your pain. If it makes you feel any better, it's great that you're already well into your next book. I just know you're going to get published someday.