4/20/07

This Makes Me Sad

I get the feeling that George Lucas is insane. He is doing his best to make sure the fourth Indiana Jones film will blow. I mean, Spielberg is going to have a hard enough time holding it together, seeing as how he's lost the ability to end a movie (AI) or make a GOOD movie (War of the Worlds). And Harrison Ford is 65 this year. Any chance of him doing his own stunts?

The only good news I've heard about this trainwreck is that producers insist on using old-school filming techniques -- in other words, stuntmen instead of CGI. But that doesn't help if Lucas has gone all stubborn Star Wars-prequel batshit.

I rewatched Raiders of the Lost Ark on Saturday night. It's pricelessly wonderful. Seeing as how I want RWS to be kinda old-fashioned swashbuckling like that, I took note of pacing and plot techniques. But damn! SO good!

When Indy and Sala are discussing the Nazis' dig, Spielberg allows the camera to linger on Harrison Ford in all his sunlit 38-year-old glory. Ford's loveliness had just enraptured me when Keven said, "You loooove him." It's impossible not to.

"Indiana Jones. I always knew some day you'd come walking back through my door. I never doubted that. Something made it inevitable." -- Marion

3 comments:

Jess said...

Sigh... I heart H.F. Too bad he hasn't aged as well as Sean Connery.

Ann(ie) said...

I never liked the Indiana Jones movies, so it doesn't matter if he's old. I didn't like them when he was young either.

carrie_lofty said...

Aw, honey, you're on my shit list now!