10/26/07

I Need a Drink

Juliette, poor thing, had to get DTap, MMR, Polio, Chicken Pox, and flu shots today--FIVE. In her two little arms. Ilsa, poor thing, had to watch Juliette screaming bloody murder and then get her flu shot. And I had to put on brave mommy face and tell them it was all for the best. How sucky was my morning? Yeah, pretty bad. But otherwise she is perfectly healthy, and they both made out like bandits with the sympathy stickers. Ah well, at least it's over now.

Yesterday I mentioned Juliette's birth stats: 7lb 11 oz and 20 1/2 inches. At the check-up today she clocked in at 45lbs (20.5 kg) and 46 1/4 inches tall (117 cm). That puts her in the 98th percentile for height and 75th for weight. She's a giant.

I do dislike how the pediatrician's standard battery of questions always feels like a bad game show. "Are You Being a Good Mom??" If your kid can't snap her pants or tie her shoes, you must be Le Suck Mum. *sighs* Yes, I need a drink.

Teacher conferences feel similar, but luckily they're both doing well. Juliette spends most of her time in the familiar language center (writing, reading) where she doesn't really need to challenge herself or encounter new things. So the teachers will begin to steer her into different areas to push her growth. Ilsa is well-rounded and flits around without regard to her companions, working on her own almost entirely. She has amazing concentration skills and works at any given task for hours. Apparently she has difficulty expressing herself without tears when she gets upset, and Juliette gets upset when she doesn't get her way. Hmmm... yeah, I think I knew that. We're getting there.

Ok, but Juliette's birthday yesterday was very nice, aside from my splitting headache. She received Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit from my mom, an astronaut costume for Halloween, a watch, new jammies, and new slippers. We're trying to keep birthday presents a bit more practical so that Ilsa's birthday, so close to Christmas, won't be mushed in with holiday toys. And as for the cake, just assume it looked a lot like the same Blue's Clues cake I've made for the last two birthdays. Except this time, my wrists were KILLING me when I finished. Not the brightest thing to do.

We're going trick-or-treating at the Milwaukee zoo tomorrow with Jenn & Co. Updates soon. Now I'm off to work.

No comments: