11/6/07

The Prestige (2006)

The Prestige
Hugh Jackman (Angier), Christian Bale (Borden), Michael Caine (Cutter), Scarlett Johansson (Olivia)

Directed by Christopher Nolan (Memento)

Summary: Two rival magicians attempt to discover each other's secrets in a professional rivalry that escalates to murder.

Mmmm... Bale and Jackman. It doesn't hardly seem fair to other films, really. The eye candy runneth over.

Christian BaleI can say nothing bad about this movie. What's not to love? And drool over? Two beautiful, angst-ridden men turn their obsessive darkness against each other. Scarlett Johansson did not annoyed me in the least, and David Bowie ceased to be David Bowie for whole handfuls of seconds, playing the historically overlooked Nicola Tesla. And best of all, I got to think myself clever when I figured out the ending. Well, all of the endings.

That's not to say the movie held hands and treated its viewers gently. Time cuts were not labeled, leaving me to piece together chronology based on clues and a confluence of plot lines. Mixed up chronology is Christopher Nolan's favorite playground, but The Prestige was nowhere near as demanding as his classic Memento. But this one was much more accessible and interesting for itself, not just for the wizardry of Nolan's skills.

Hugh JackmanBoth Bale and Jackman got to show off their talents with varied accents--Bale playing a working-class Londoner and Jackman portraying an American, a high-class Englishman, and a Shakespearean-trained lush. Both cried and said passionate things. Really, I had a great time. I haven't seen much for films of late, and I'm glad this one rewarded me for my investment of free time. Clever, worthwhile and highly entertaining.

No comments: