12/31/07

Saying Adieu to 2007

1. What did you do in 2007 that you hadn't done before?
Sang karaoke.

2. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Jenn had baby Theo in April, my sister-in-law Jess had baby Jackson in September, my friend Patti's grandson Zach arrived in September, our long-time friends Andy & Kara had baby Robert in November, and a new friend here in Kenosha, Karen, had baby Claire in November as well. What can I say? I'm in my 30s, as are most of my friends. Lots of birthin' going on.

3. Did anyone close to you die?
My mom's Uncle Stan died. What a great guy--quiet, considerate, dependable. Everyone who knew him misses him. And sweet girl Cleo died at the age of 19.

4. Did you travel? Where did you go? Best holiday memory?
I went to Dallas for RWA Nationals in July, and then Keven and I flew to DC in November to visit Richard & Jenny--although I have been seriously remiss in posting pictures of the later. That, and we moved to Kenosha.

5. Best thing you bought?
My desk/writing set-up.

6. Where did most of your money go?
Probably food, which is pathetic. We eat out way too much. That, and we refurnished our condo when we moved.

7. What do you wish you had done more of?
Exercise and read.

8. What do you wish you had done less of?
Net surfing.

9. What kept you sane?
Um....

10. What drove you mad?
Thirty-two hours worth of stuff to cram into 24-hour days.

11. What made you celebrate?
First contest final! First sale! First contest win!

12. What made you sad?
Leaving Madison. I miss the town. I miss my friends. I miss that way of life.

13. How was your birthday this year?
Sweet. Lots of presents, including North & South. Steve and Silvia were over for their visit, and we had lots of fun at the community backyard party that night.

14. What political issue stirred you the most this year?
Oh geez. I'm trying to stay positive...

15. Were you in love in 2007?
Of course. But I don't think Christian Slater should count.

16. What would you like to have in 2008 that you didn't have this year?
Sale #2!

17. What date from 2007 will be etched in your memory and why?
June 12. Moving day.

18. What song will remind you of 2007?
Anything by Elisa or Imogen Heap, which were the mainstays of my summer.

19. Compared to this time last year are you happier?
Um... I think so. The end of 2006 was filled with a lot of uncertainty with regard to Keven's work and where we would end up. While it was fun to imagine moving to various parts of the country and where we would live, I didn't like the crazy no-knowing. This year we know. And the older I get, the more important that is.

20. Biggest achievement this year?
First sale (me). Getting Keven through business school (family). Those long two years of school came to our happy conclusion at graduation.

21. Biggest disappointment this year?
I would be a useless pig if I found reason to be disappointed with such an awesome year. Maybe the initial shock of moving to Kenosha, which is so different from Madison. But after the great party we went to last night with a bunch of new friends, it's not nearly so bad. That, and I've found Liz and Chicago North, the girls love their school and Keven is diggin' his job. No worries.

22. What is the one thing that would have made you more satisfied?
Having my Madison friends closer.

23. Best new person you met this year?
Liz. Hey honey!

24. A valuable life lesson you learned this year?
New things are never as bad or a fabulous as they seem. They're just new, and there's value in all new experiences.

25. How was your health in 2007?
Good, except for my wrist.

26. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't remember what they are, or more like, I don't want to go back and check. It was a full and productive year, and I'm satisfied with how it turned out. That said, I will be making resolutions for 2008. Have to. I have too much I want to accomplish for bumbling along to work this time.

27. What countries did you visit?
We started the year in England, then home to the US. That's it.

28. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
Money in the bank.

29. Did you suffer hardship in 2007?
Nope. Life is good.

30. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Keven's. He did us all proud with balancing the demands of business school, networking, job hunting, family, and the responsibilities of his new positions. Love my guy. And in second place--if I must rate my family--would be my girls. They came through our move and their introduction to school with flying colors. Really, for how much I complain about them at times, they've been super kids this year.

31. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Ahem. Politicians. Asshats, about 99% of them.

32. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
First sale, dang it! I'm getting repetitive.

33. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? fatter
iii. richer or poorer? richer

34. How will you spend the New Years?
With my family. Low key.

35. How many one-night stands?
Dude!! That's a rather telling question with regard to society. And the fact I've been married ten years, it's SO off my radar.

36. What was your favorite TV program?
LIFE! Oh, and So You Thing You Can Dance.

37. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
HATE? I save that for the above-mentioned politicians. No one I know, thankfully!

38. What was the best book you read?
The Harlot's Daughter by Blythe Gifford, which I'm FINALLY reviewing tomorrow if it kills me.

39. What was your greatest musical (re)discovery?
Imogen Heap (discovery) and Simple Minds (rediscover)

40. What did you want and get?
First sale!! And Keven got a job!

41. What did you want and not get?
Can't think of anything. Maybe more money for the aforementioned sale and job!

42. What was your favorite film that you watched this year?
North & South, of course. Dawn of the Dead was pretty good, as was The Fountain.

43. What one experience do you never want to repeat from this year?
Sleeping in a hotel room that is not smoke free. And watching any movie that involves pirates and the Caribbean.

44. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Sporty. Cargo pants, tight-fitting henley tops, and cropped hair.

45. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Oh, c'mon. You should know these things by now.

46. Who did you miss?
Katka. And Karen.

47. Quote that sums up your year:
Good things go to those who work.

48. Was 2007 a good year for you?
Yes!

49. Where were you when 2007 began?
In England.

50. Who were you with?
Hubby, the girls, and all of Kev's family.

51. How many concerts did you see in 2007?
Just Interpol.

52. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2007?
Nope. Gave it up for the most part.

53. Did you do a lot of drugs in 2007?
Sulphameth, if that rings bells for anyone. And does Celebrex count?

54. If you could go back in time to any moment of 2007 and change something, what would it be?
Nah, things are good.

55. What are you most looking forward to in 2008?
Chicago's convention in April, my in-laws visit in April, warm weather returning, my mom and dad getting settled into their new life in Nappanee, Nationals in San Francisco, selling another book, seeing Juliette in kindergarten, watching all those new babies turn into toddlers, holding WHAT A SCOUNDREL WANTS in my hands!

So, that's my year. Pretty obnoxious, no? How was your 2007? Feel free to snag the questions and link back to your blog. I'd love to be nosy and read your answers...

No comments: