1/23/08

Music Meme

It's 7 degrees outside. You know it's damn cold when the girls can count that high in Spanish. What a perfect day to drive to Milwaukee! It's a state-wide teachers' day off, which means a rare day when Calvin will be out of school at the same time as the girls. Sam's Club run, a trip to Brennan's for good cheese, then on to the Betty Brinn Children's Museum. Should be moderately interesting since we've never been there before. Children's museums only become tedious after repeat visits.

Ok, MEME: I got this from Abriendo Puertas, Caridad Ferrer's blog. Look at these Billboard charts for the five calendar years you were in high school. Choose the song(s) that was your a) fave then, b) fave now, c) worst overall.

My story: I stopped actively listening to pop music around 1991 when I started on a serious country music binge. When country music changed in the mid-90s (I blame Shania Twain), I was back to pop/rock by my first year of college. So I don't know MANY of these songs. However, seeing as how I was in high school and music is the parlance of youth, I still managed to develop pop song crushes.

1990 ~ Carrie enters high school
THEN
"Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles: I didn't know it was about Elvis.
"Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer: What the hell?

NOW
"It Must Have Been Love" by Roxette: I never recovered from cheesy Roxette love.

WORST
"Just Like Jesse James" by Cher: The late 80s/early 90s love for all things Old West a la Young Guns and "The Young Riders" took a terrible turn toward evil.

1991 ~ Freshman to sophomore year
THEN
"(Everything I Do) I Do it for You" by Bryan Adams: Sue me.
"Something to Talk About" by Bonnie Raitt: Pop meets country.
"More Than Words" by Extreme: Love the harmonies.

NOW
"(Everything I Do) I Do it for You" by Bryan Adams: I wrote an entire book set in Sherwood Forest. What was I supposed to listen to?? For how much Keven hates this song, it's lucky we're still married.
"Groove is in the Heart" by Dee-Lite: Pure dance awesomeness.
"Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak: One of the best songs of all time.

WORST:
"I Touch Myself" by The Divinyls: Terrible then, terrible now, and seeing Austin Powers dance around to this didn't do it any favors.

1992 ~ Sophomore to junior year
THEN
"Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough" by Patty Smith and Don Henley: No excuse really, other than my country kick bled over to a fascination with the Eagles, thereby resulting in a strange crush on Don Henley.
"Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus: Um, it was fun to dance to?

NOW
"Too Funky" by George Michael: He is a seriously underrated songwriter.
"Mysterious Ways" and "One" by U2: Naturally.
"Hazard" by Richard Marx: There's still a story for me in there somewhere.

WORST
"Jump" by Kris Kross and "Jump Around" by House of Pain: No thanks.
"I Can't Dance" by Genesis: No shit.

1993 ~ Junior into senior year
THEN
"If" by Janet Jackson: So naughty!
"Hey Jealousy" by Gin Blossoms: Too bad he killed himself.
"Two Princes" by Spin Doctors: Don't hate me. I was young.
"River of Dreams" by Billy Joel: I went on a small Billy Joel glom too.

NOW
"Ordinary World" and "Come Undone" by Duran Duran: Excellent, well-crafted pop songs.
"Fields of Gold" and "If I Ever Lose My Faith in You" by Sting: I discovered Sting the year after these came out, so I was slightly out of step with the charts.
"7" by Prince & TNPG: Bellydancing! Sexy!

WORST
"Whoomp! (There it is)" by Tag Team: Encapsulates all that I left pop music for. Mindless, stupid drivel.

1994 ~ Senior year and into the world
THEN
"Power of Love" by Celine Dion: All the girls thought they could hit that final note if they just sang it louder. Not so.
"All for Love" by Sting, Bryan Adams and Rod Stewart: I actually bought the cassette single. The movie sucked.
"Please Forgive Me" by Bryan Adams: Dang, I still love this song.

NOW (so many!)
"Stay" by Lisa Loeb: Sorta my first year of college soundtrack.
"Because the Night" by 10,000 Maniacs: Ditto.
"Linger" by The Cranberries: I'm sensing a trend.
"Loser" by Beck: Dancing in Britain.
"Found Out About You" by Gin Blossoms: Here's looking and you, M.
"I'm the Only One" by Melissa Etheridge: That's a really good video. Something for everyone!

WORST
"All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow: Quit it! Just shut up!
"Indian Outlaw" by Tim McGraw: I told you I left country music for a reason.
"Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty: This song is especially bad if you grew up in Indiana. Yes, we were hicks. Don't need to make fun!

The one thing that strikes me as odd: the two bands to come out of my high school years as embodying that era are Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Nirvana's only song on those charts was "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Pearl Jam had none. Everyone was too busy jumpin' around, I suppose.

Your turn. Have fun!

No comments: