2/6/08

Reading Meme

The snow is blowing 100% sideways right now. And the schools are still open. Gotta love Wisconsin. Their rationale must be that we only received a third of the 18+ inches we were forecast.

I'm all about the creative memes lately. Anything to save a little time on the blogging front, as my week has been kickass busy--and productive. Feels good. I borrowed this one from Darla, which was first created by Eva from A Striped Armchair.

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?

Just as with movies, too much praise for any particular title makes me uneasy. It's bandwagon fever then. And the book or film may be great, but by the time I get around to it, the expectations I've developed are just massive. Don't believe the hype.

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

I think I'll skip this one. The characters would all be hot men--Heathcliff, Thornton, Rupert from Mr. Impossible, Jean-Luc from The Virgin Blue--and the scenarios would wind up X-rated...so I'll leave them to my imagination.

(Borrowing shamelessly from the "Thursday Next" series by Jasper Fforde): You are told you can't die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realize it's past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?

Probably Tolkien. I'd be immortal forever.

Come on, we've all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you've read, when in fact you've been nowhere near it?

Nope. Well, I take that back--I've flubbed my way through college and grad school with the majors of English and history. TONS of books I said I'd read but didn't. I just don't do that with voluntary reads. What's the point?

You're interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who's not a big reader). What's the first book you'd recommend and why? (If you feel like you'd have to know the person, go ahead and personalize the VIP).

A Very Long Engagement by S├ębastien Japrisot and The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. If (s)he can figure these out and keep up with the nightmare knotplots, I'd be super impressed. And if (s)he cried over either, I'd do whatever evil bidding asked of me. A heart AND a brain--I'm all yours.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

Latin. That would come in really handy for the old stuff. Spanish would be most practical for today, though, and Italian would be fun for operas.

A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

Fire & Rain by Elizabeth Lowell. It’s easy, rewarding, and makes me smile and cry every time.

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What's one bookish thing you 'discovered' from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?

I've learned books I love are reviled by others (Barb's irrational hatred of The Time Traveler's Wife, and someone else--Darla? JMC?--who cannot stand Wuthering Heights). On the flip side, books I loathe are adored by others (One Hundred Years of Solitude--gah! And double gah to the whole of magical realism!). Everything is subjective. Truly. I understood it in theory before, but now I have reams of proof. I'm trying to internalize this for when WaSW is released!

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she's granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leather bound? Is it full of first edition hard covers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favorite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.

Aside from Ann's gorgeous dream of a library devoted to Nora Roberts' entire collection, I would go for one-room library divided in two: gorgeous pink-and-neon trash paperbacks on one wall-sized shelf, and beautiful leather-bound classics on the other. Even if I never read them all--I'd never survive a room-sized TBR pile--I would glory in the rainbow colors and leather scent. A feast for the sense and the mind. And I'd have a comfy chaise, a cozy blanket, a fireplace (can you tell I'm imagining a winter scene?), and a door that locks on the inside. MY ROOM, you hear me?

What if I was Romeo in black jeans?
What if I was Heathcliff? It's no myth.
Maybe she's just looking for
Someone to dance with.
"
No Myth" by Michael Penn

No comments: