3/8/08

Oh, Feel the Joy

I'm glad I finished my draft of Scoundrel's Kiss in February. I'm proofing this weekend--a final read-through after integrating suggestions from my critique group--and now I'm sick. Again. Mostly is just...snot. Too much information, I know, but bear with me. I'm glad I have most of my obligation to this project out of the way. I'd hate to feel like this and be scrambling at the last minute to finish up. Oh, and it's snowing again. How precedented! How positively heard of!

Speaking of "The Daily Show," does anyone else think Aasif Mandvi is hot?

I've had Rihanna's "Umbrella" stuck in my head for two days straight. Nothing gets rid of it. A melody mind virus. What stands out for me is that it's a popular R&B song about being faithful, a couple being good to one another. Really positive. And damn, damn catchy. But why does Jay-Z have to pop up in every R&B chic's song and verbally puke all over it? Don't Rihanna and Beyonce etc. have enough clout to tell him to bugger off?

I'm thinking of starting a semi-regular segment called Pop Prose where I look at meaningful lyrics from pop tunes. Like a poetry corner. Because sometimes even the shittiest little ditties have really awesome turns of phrase. But sometimes it's just me misinterpreting the lyrics and making them more profound than they are. I get all disappointed when I learn what they really said. When that happens, I reserve the right to use my misinterpreted lyrics in my books. Which I've done. Just not telling where.

Ok, it's 6:27. I've been up for two hours. The house is quiet, except when I hack a lung. Must go find more pre-dawn things to do.

When there's sunshine, we'll shine together.
Told you I'll be here forever.
Said I'll always be a friend.
I took an oath I'ma stick it out to the end.
Now that it's raining more than ever,
Know that we'll still have each other.
You can stand under my umbrella...


...ella, ella ella...


...ella, ella, ella...


"
Umbrella" by Rihanna

No comments: