3/13/08

Sunshine (2007)

Sunshine
Cillian Murphy (Capa), Chris Evans (Mace), Michelle Yeoh (Corazon), Hiroyuki Sanada (Kaneda)

Directed by Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later)

IMDB Summary: Fifty years into the future, the Sun begins to die and Earth is dying as a result. A team of astronauts are sent to revive the Sun with a massive bomb, but the mission fails. Seven years later, a new team is sent to finish the mission--Earth's last hope.

I really like Danny Boyle. I even dug A Life Less Ordinary, which few people can stomach. Shallow Grave, other than featuring early work by Ewan McGregor and Christopher Eccleston, is a cult thriller classic.

I also love Cillian Murphy. He is, officially, the first guy I've ever fancied who is younger than me (by three days). Michelle Yeoh is the bee's knees, and Hiroyuki Sanada has a voice that I could listen to all day, all soft and manly at once.

But lo! How did this movie suck??

I have a life. Really, I do. If I wanted to examine the countless logic-defying plot holes and horrible, terrible scientific liberties, I would have to sacrifice much of the morning. If I wanted to describe the wretched characterization and wooden acting, I would need the remainder of the afternoon. And if I wanted to tell you just how disappointing this movie is for me--a fan of its director, actors, and sci-fi flicks in general--that would be my entire Thursday. Seriously. It's that bad.

This review works. It's not as scathing as the ones Keven found--ones that enumerate the eight dozen truck-sized plot holes and generally cry, cry, cry for its woeful badness--but it'll do. Coz I have Thursday that needs my attention.

Now I'll post this lovely picture of Cillian and his blue, blue eyes. Really, it's the best part of the whole dreadful experience.Cillian Murphy as Capa

No comments: