12/11/08

All Good News This Week

Hello, hello!

Sorry I've been incommunicado for the last few days. I got a bit burnt from all the craziness of releasing WaSW last week, and this week has been crazy for other, more varied reasons. Let's recap! I'll try to be brief so you can skim.

BEST NEWS at the bottom.

We went to Kev's company party on Friday night, which was nice--not as nice as last year's all you can eat buffet MADE OF WIN, yet still lovely. Oh, but the DJ sucked. He started off with two slow songs, then moved into "YMCA" and "Dancing Queen." Who does that? Slow songs for cooling down, and the party tunes for once everyone's feeling silly. But I did boogey to "Sexyback", "Shake It", "Disturbia", and "When I Grow Up", which I only realized later have all been on some version of SYTYCD. I know I can dance at least well enough for a company party, then promptly ruined my feet in three inch heels. Was worth it.

Saturday the girls went to a birthday party, so we had the house to ourselves for a bit, and Keven headed out to another party. Ha! We are Teh Social Animals! We made up for it by not leaving the house on Sunday.

On Monday, the weather gods were generous. Only rain fell, which meant I traveled to Chicago North without trouble. There, the lovely Sue Peterson of Brainsnacks arrived to set up my very first book signing. Sold tons! Lines of friends waiting for autographs. So very weird. But awesome. And my presentation on integrating action into romance was very well received. I was also elected manuscript chairperson, which means I'm in charge of conducting our group critiques throughout the year, and I've accidentally wound up helping on the next Spring Fling conference in Chicago. Can't help it. I love my chapter and want it to do well.

On Tuesday and again today, I volunteered at a local independent academy to guest lecture about creative writing. The seventh graders (about 12 years old) were not impressed, but the eighth graders were very interactive and enthusiastic. I'll be returning to their classroom next month to help with individual crits. I can't imagine how happy I would've been at that age to have input from a pubbed author, so I'm pretty psyched about working with them.

Two new reviews. Yay! Merri Crawford of Medieval Book Reviews (who also posted her thoughts to Amazon) writes: "Although set in distant times, WHAT A SCOUNDREL WANTS captures in imagery, psychological depth and imagination, a timeless truth in the way only fiction can. ...a book to read slowly in order to savor in all its details. Keep a hanky for the ending, not for tears of pain but joyful tears."

For the second review, Devon of The Good, the Bad and the Unread was very fair about how challenging yet rewarding she found WaSW. I love that she stuck with it and found good things to appreciate and praise. "This is not an easy read. It takes awhile to get used to the rhythm of the speech, as well as the harsh setting and characters. But the effort is worth it. The hero and heroine have quite a bit of chemistry, which deepens into a lovely romance."

And...

(drumroll)

...Ich bin ein Autor romantischer Fiktion!

Today we sold the German translation rights to WaSW. Yay! The deal is apparently very good for a Zebra Debut, and it happened lickety-split because of the hype I garnered in LoveLetter last week. My day has been made very happy.

(I intentionally used passive voice because I sure as hell don't have control over good stuff like this. My writing, sure. But publishing? Not a chance.)

Die Gedanken sind frei, wer kann sie erraten?
Sie fliegen vorbei, wie nächtliche Schatten
Kein Mensch kann sie wissen, kein Jäger erschießen
Es bleibet dabei: Die Gedanken sind Frei!
"Die Gedanken sind Frei" by Brazilian Girls

No comments: