12/1/08

Salmon Holiday Recap

Salmon, you ask?

Keven referred to Thanksgiving that way while we drove to Indiana on Wednesday. All around us in Chicago, driving at about 5mph for three hours, were other vehicles full of families--minivans and hatchbacks, compacts and far fewer SUVs than I've seen in a while--all filled to the max. It's like salmon returning to their breeding grounds, no matter the waterfalls and bears that stand in the way.

Must. Go. Home. Which we did.

England has no salmon holiday, not to this extent.

Turkey Day was lovely, with Mom preparing all the usual goodies. I got royally stuffed and then repeated the procedure several more times throughout the stay. We watched Enchanted and Tropic Thunder, both of which I'll discuss later this week. I think we watched Family Man in there somewhere, too, which has become somewhat of a holiday staple for us.

Friday was slow and lazy until, in the afternoon, we got bored enough to join the mad shopping rush. Macy's was ok, especially in the quiet men's department, where we purchased new sweaters for Keven. The girls bought Hello Kitty goodies with Mom--a watch for Juliette and a plastic cell phone with lip gloss inside for Ilsa. Lip gloss nightmare messes ensued, all Made of Cute. But the mall itself was a madhouse, and Barnes & Noble didn't have a copy of my book yet. So we headed home.

On Saturday, um, more lazy. Then Casey, Jess and the kids arrived home from their visit in Kentucky. The girls were so happy to see Lily, and they ran around like crazy female screeching monsters. We adults made fun of Notre Dame losing, chowed a bit more, and cooed over how adorable Jackson is.

The snowy journey on Sunday wasn't nearly so bad. The drive into Indiana took seven hours, but the trip back to Kenosha was only 4 1/2. Very fast. The snow wasn't so bad either, once we got on the tollroad.

So all in all, a fantastically lazy, delicious, and relaxing holiday. All the more reason to be thankful. I hope everyone else had a lovely time playing salmon.

Push the door, I'm home at last and I'm soaking through and through.
Then you handed me a towel and all I see is you.
And I want to thank you for giving me the best day of my life.
Oh, just to be with you is having the best day of my life.
"Thank You" by Dido

No comments: