7/12/09

Twelve Years Ago

Twelve years ago today, Keven and I got married. We're getting into the realm of science fiction because I have a hard time coming to grips with that. If I sit down and think about all that we have done and seen and accomplished, then 12 years makes sense. But that number is just a little freaky.

As with most of our anniversaries, today hasn't been particularly romantic or celebratory. Keven is at a BBQ with the girls while I finish up the last of my packing. I printed business cards, signed books and cover flats, placed an ad for SCOUNDREL'S KISS in Romance Sells, and generally caught up on all the last-minute details of a business trip. The girls need their showers, the laundry still needs folded, and the adventure of packing the girls' suitcases remains. "No, put that back. Where's your blue top. Not that one. Yes, two animals is fine. How many undies do you have."

Yesterday I managed to make plans for sightseeing adventures. Ann and I will do the Mall, the National Holocaust Museum, and the American History Museum on Tuesday, and then meet up with Barb for dinner. I'm excited because the American History Museum was closed when Keven and I visited back in November of 2007. Also closed at that time was Ford's Theater, which was undergoing renovations. It officially reopens on Wednesday, so Ann, Cathleen and I have tickets to go see it on Thursday afternoon. Squeeze it in before the Kensington party!

I have a headache and I'm feeling a little nauseous. I think it must be nerves. Every year I think I'm ready for Nationals, and then every year something happens to set me back on my heels and remind me that my confidence only go so far. It gets out of practice!

Oh, I'll be interviewed by Wendy the Super Librarian on Saturday at 2 PM for the Romantic Times website (will post the link when I get back). This will be right after I present on a panel. And then I'll have another panel that afternoon. These major events, along with the literacy signing on Wednesday, mark definite progress from where I was in my career last year. In 2008, I got my pink "first sale" ribbon, went to my publisher's party, and had coffee with my agent--all firsts. In 2007, I attended, pitched to Hilary, and survived! This makes me curious what next summer will bring...

I have some posts lined to keep you company while I'm gone. I don't know how much exercise will have to e-mail over the next week. Wish me travel luck!

And to Keven: I love you. I love our babies. And I've loved (almost) every minute of the last twelve years together.

No comments: