10/12/09

Vintage Sting!

I've been re-immersing myself in old Sting & Police tunes, because no one does pseudo-literary pop tunes like Sting. I've been working on the project in the sidebar labeled "ADOG," which is a acronym for the title, not an indication of a canine theme. Although Sting was still pretty fierce in this video for "Fortress Around Your Heart," his "Seriously, folks, I've gone solo!!" vibe comes across as pretty self-involved now.


But anyway, the songs I've been listening to are either distinctly 40s-era standards, for FLYGIRL, or else these "mythology songs," as I've dubbed them--songs that play out like fantasy novels in miniature. Abney Park is pretty damn good at these too. Current play list:

"The Soul Cages," "Fortress Around Your Heart," "Mad About You," "Shape of My Heart," "Something a Boy Said," and "Gabriel's Message" by Sting; "I Burn for You," "Invisible Sun," "The Secret Journey," and "Tea in the Sahara" by the Police; "Stigmata Martyr," "The Wrong Side," "The Wake," "Dear Ophelia," "Sacrilege," "All the Myths Are True," "The Death of the Hero," and "Herr Drosselmeyer's Doll" by Abney Park; and "Song to the Siren" by This Mortal Coil.

I need to find more. VAST and A Perfect Circle had quite a few, but I used them up on previous projects (NIGHTFALL and SCOUNDREL'S KISS, respectively). If you have any clue what I'm talking about regarding the vibe and content of these songs, I'm open to suggestions for more!

No comments: