11/29/09

My Holiday Films

After a quick three hours through Chicago, we arrived back from a lovely Thanksgiving with my parents and my brother's family. Our speed-of-light trip home made up for the 6 1/2 hours we spent on the road Wednesday afternoon. Mom cooked all of our traditional family favorites--so good! Then we watched the awesomeness that is Star Trek and the mediocrity that is Zombieland (review to come), and spent most of Friday playing Rock Band. Good times, people. Good times.

I also snuck in a viewing of White Christmas, which is way, way up there among my favorite holiday films. I decided to do a list so I won't forget any. Last year, because we spent three weeks in Britain and because I was busy promoting What a Scoundrel Wants, I missed out on a lot of the holiday to-do, particularly movies. (We made up for it in Britain by watching a zillion Christmas-themed programs, such as the glorious Big Fat Quiz of the Year and the Christmas episode of "Doctor Who". But I think I missed It's a Wonderful Life entirely!)

My list consists of three parts: favorites, tangential holiday movies, and ones I'll watch again now that the girls are old enough. The first category is simple--just the ones I cannot do without. The second involves movies set at or around the holidays but which aren't specifically Christmas movies. The third consists of movies that I plan to revisit; they're not my all-time faves but are worth seeing. These are ones that the girls may enjoy more than me. They've already watched "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Frosty the Snowman."

Favorites:
A Christmas Story
It's a Wonderful Life
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
The Nutcracker
(starring Mikhail Baryshnikov)
Scrooge (1951)
Scrooged
White Christmas


Tangential:
Die Hard
The Family Man
Love Actually
The Shop Around the Corner
While You Were Sleeping


New to the Kids:
"A Garfield Christmas Special"
Home Alone
"How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
Mickey's Christmas Carol
Miracle on 34th Street
The Muppet Christmas Carol
Prancer

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town"
Santa Claus: The Movie
The Santa Clause
Scrooge
(1970)

Oh, and look what I found on YouTube! It's the A Claymation Christmas Celebration, circa 1987. I loved this version of "We Three Kings" when I was in 6th grade and used it to try and teach my brother to sing harmony with me. That didn't work out so well...


And here's a bonus list of ones I have yet to see: The Lemon Drop Kid, Holiday Inn and The Polar Express. Do you have suggestions for ones I've left off?

No comments: