2/16/10

Moon (2009)

Sam Rockwell (Sam Bell), Kevin Spacey (GERTY)

Directed by Duncan Jones (a debut film from David Bowie's son!)

From IMDB: Astronaut Sam Bell has a quintessentially personal encounter toward the end of his three-year stint on the Moon, where he, working alongside his computer, GERTY, sends back to Earth parcels of a resource that has helped diminish our planet's power problems.

Keven and I saw this a while ago, probably just after Christmas. I haven't written about it because I'm lazy. Heh.

I loved it. Fans of big plot sci-fi and obvious storylines might have problems with its slow build and esoteric possibilities, but I was entranced. Most of that had to do with Sam Rockwell, who delivered a truly remarkable performance. He played two characters throughout almost the entire film. Identical men. Seriously. But never once was I confused as to which was which. He imbued each man with subtle yet distinct physical characteristics that said so much about their personalities. Make-up and costuming helped, but I really credit Rockwell for breathing difference into each.

Although Keven and I worked out the major elements of the plot in advance, the way it played out was very entertaining. I really rooted for Sam Bell, hoping he would find a little bit of happiness at the end. The finale was so perfectly ambiguous that I felt like writing an epilogue. Heck, a whole book! Sam Bell finds romance...

I can't tell you anything more, really, because it's too good to give away. Loved it. We've enjoyed Sam Rockwell ever since his portrayal of Guy on Galaxy Quest, but this proved that he has fantastic acting chops. I can't wait to see what he does in the future, hoping for a big star-making role that will give him the recognition he deserves. And props to Duncan Jones on a terse, interesting sci-fi gem. Sometimes show biz nepotism sucks hind tit, but this really paid off.

3 comments:

sazerac said...

Thw winter is no time to get things done. Blankies and movies.

There's a lot more stuff on the dvd. Duncan is so cool in interviews. You can tell he and Sam are now best friends and will work together again. They both come from celebity parents.

DVD have gone dfown in price and II don't know what bluray is.

Doug said...

Oh! I had forgotten him in Galaxy Quest . . . now I need to put that on my Netflix queue, since Jake has never seen Galaxy Quest.

If you like Rockwell, consider watching "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford." It's mostly a command performance by Brad Pitt, who really is quite good in the role of James, but Rockwell puts in a good supporting performance as one of the Ford boys. Gotta warn you, though, that this is not an action-packed crime movie, but more a very slow-paced, deliberative character study.

Carrie Lofty said...

I nearly slept thru Jesse James, got about 45 mins in. Brad Pitt was just so distracting!