5/23/10

Summer Camp

This year I'll be enrolling the girls in a summer camp hosted by their school. This is the first time their school has offered full-day summer camp, which means custom made for the demands of my schedule this year. It's flexible enough so that we can take a few weeks off when Keven's parents visit in late June, and each week is themed to study animals, business, crafts, and science.

I wonder sometimes why school systems are so reluctant to move to year-round schedules. Surely other parents are left him even more of a bind then me when school lets out in early June. I may not get as many words written over the summer months, but at least I have the flexibility to stay at home with them. Holding so staunchly to an agriculturally based calendar makes no sense, especially when so many teachers and parents agree that it can take weeks to reacquaint children with schedules they've abandoned and lessons they've forgotten.

What do your summer plans look like? Have you found a place to stash your little ones for a few weeks, or will you make do it home? And if your kids are in year-round schools, are they as wonderful as I imagine they would be?

6 comments:

Verona St. James said...

My elementary school had summer day care, but it was basically Recess all day with the occasional group directed activity like arts and crafts or a big game of capture the flag. It probably helped with the continuing to wake up early, but not so much for the holding on to knowledge bit.

Carrie Lofty said...

I like the idea of keeping our routine, as much as possible. And of course I'm not going to shy away from more summer hours to work! But yeah, I'm not expecting too much actual learning. Structured social time for them will keep us all healthy and sane :)

Zoe Archer said...

I have a cat.

Carrie Lofty said...

I have TWO cats! Take that, slacker!

Zoe Archer said...

I had two cats...sigh....

Carrie Lofty said...

Aw, sorry sweetie. I forgot :(

Maybe your baby needs company?