6/9/10

Carina Guest Author: Cindy Specer Pape

Today I'm continuing to feature fellow Carina Press authors as we celebrate the release of our books. Next up is Cindy Spencer Pape, whose blog I'm visiting today. Ye olde switcheroo! Cindy's MOTOR CITY FAE was released on June 7 and will also be issues as an audio book from Audible in early July.

Detroit artist Meagan Kelly has had a strong sixth sense all her life, but that doesn't mean the gorgeous stranger's crazy story--that she's a half-elf, half human heiress--is true. But Meagan can't deny the evidence of her own eyes--he's Fae. A tall, blond, handsome, pointy-eared elf--and a man she just can't get enough of.

Ric Thornhill's assignment just got a lot more complicated. The more time he spends with Meagan, the harder it is to see her as a political tool to prevent an all-out war between humans and Fae. Now Meagan's in a race to master her newly released powers in time to prevent the conflict, convince a jealous queen not to strip Ric of his powers, and find out if she can build a life that straddles two worlds.
***

First of all, big thanks to Carrie for having me here today. Rather than give me a set of questions to answer, she turned the tables on me and asked me to answer the same questions I sent her for my blog. So here goes:

Tell us how you came up with the idea for this book.

I've always thought Detroit would be the perfect setting for paranormal romances. It's dark, gritty feel of urban decay contrasts sharply with some of the more affluent suburbs. Then I hit upon the idea of an elven bard on a quest, and the rest of the story fell together.

What was your favorite part about writing this book?

Probably setting it in my hometown, but I had a LOT of fun with the quirky characters, too.

Tell us a little about your hero and heroine.

Ric Thornhill is a bard in service to the Seelie queen. He's on a quest to find a missing half-elven heiress. Meagan Kelly is an artist who's always felt a little out of place, but never quite knew why.

What sets your book apart from others in the genre?

My oddball sense of humor tends to come through, even when I'm not trying to be funny. And I think I've built a strong mixed paranormal world.

Tell us about yourself. Do you have a day job? Kids? When & where do you like to write and how do you fit your writing in?


I write full time now, usually at my kitchen table, but I spent years working in environmental education. I've been married for 25 years and have two almost-grown sons, who think it's cool that I write, but wish it wasn't romance.

What drew you to Carina Press?

Typically most successful e-publishers have done very well with erotic romance (which I write for other publishers.) Since MOTOR CITY FAE is steamy but heavier on the plot than on sex, I wanted it to find a home that could take mainstream romance into the digital era. I have very, very high hopes for Carina!

When you're not writing, what do you like to read?

Mostly romance of all sub-genres, but I do slip some mysteries and SF/Fantasy in there to keep things fresh.

Is there a sequel or sequels coming to this book? Will it feature the same main characters? If not, which character will be getting his/her own story?

Absolutely! Book Two, MOTOR CITY WITCH is scheduled to release October 4, 2010, and will feature secondary characters Aidan and Elise. Book Three is in the works.

What else would you like your reader to know about you and your book?

One thing you can always count on from me is the Happy-Ever-After. I really am a romantic, and though I love writing action, fantasy, and mystery subplots, in the end, everything I write is probably going to be a romance.

Also, as part of my blog tour promoting MOTOR CITY FAE, I'm running a contest. All you have to do is pop over to my website, go to the "Contact Cindy" page, and tell me which blog you saw me on and answer the question of the day. At the end of June, I'll be giving away a $20.00 gift card to your choice of Borders, B&N, or Amazon. You can enter once for each blog stop.

Today's question is: Name Book Two in the Urban Arcana series.

7 comments:

Patti Ann Colt said...

Your book sounds wonderful! I love these kinds of reads -- such a great blend of fantasy and reality. Adding this to my list to buy. Whoever did your cover did a great job, too! Patti

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Thanks Patti! And Carrie, thanks very much for having me here today!

LorelieLong said...

Sounds like everything I like about UF but without the dragging-HEA-on-for-three-or-more-books effect. Awesome.

Fran Lee said...

Ooooh, I adore this one, Cindy! Congrats on all the fabulous reviews, girl!

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Lorelie
That's exactly the point! I hate when they do that. Each book in this series is about a different couple. Always an HEA.

Fran, thanks so much for stopping by! I really appreciate it!

Mari Powell said...

Love this twist on UF, Cindy. Yes, yes, YES - bring us more Fae!!

April Ash said...

Wishing You Many Sales! I don't think I've seen your cover for Motor City Witch before!
Marianne/April