7/3/10

Carina Guest Author: Claire Robyns

Next up among my fellow Carina Press authors is Claire Robyns, whose Scottish historical romance BETRAYED will be released on July 5. Here's the blurb:

Two Feuding Families...

Amber Jardin has no taste for the bitter feud started before her father's banishment. But now that he's passed, she's had to return to Scotland and his barbaric people. After her bloodthirsty uncle kidnaps one of the family's rivals, Amber is in turn captured by Krayne Johnstone, the enemy laird. Despite their enmity, their attraction is immediate--and unfortunate, as Amber has sworn to escape.

One Lusty Temptation...

Krayne is amazed at the wildcat's repeated attempts to flee. He should steel himself against her beguiling ways--yet with time, he is driven more witless with lust. When the ransom exchange fails and Krayne is left with Amber, he finds he cannot tolerate the thought of her with another man--and she cannot tolerate the thought of returning to her uncle's home.

Will passion and love win out over mistrust and betrayal in time to prevent an all-out war?
***

BETRAYED is the one I lovingly refer to as the book of my heart, the one I wrote for me, without worrying about markets and target audiences – just as well, because Betrayed had a rocky five years of submissions with some super highs and hellish lows before Carina Press came along with their commitment to books that might not fit all the usual boxes.

I first started writing it right after we moved from South Africa to the UK, and with all that change going on, I thought it might be time to try something different in my writing as well. Before, I'd been working mainly on shorter contemporary romances, but I love large casts of colourful characters who can have their own story within a story.

Here's a few snippets from some of those characters I love so much.

Krayne and Amber...at times, even I wondered if these two would ever get around to falling in love!
"'Tis the way of the world," Krayne said, his voice brittle in an unguarded moment of too many unwanted memories. "A woman acts thoughtlessly with no regard fer consequence and somewhere a man suffers."

"And yet you have the power to prevent it." Her mouth turned down in scorn. "All you need do is call Hob back."

"Did God not leave be when Eve corrupted Adam?"

"Eve?" The floorboards quivered as she stamped a booted foot. "You would compare me to the woman responsible for the original downfall of mankind?"

Krayne shrugged. Adam's Eve would have a hard time keeping up with Amber and his mother.

Green eyes flared just before Amber swirled about and stormed from the galley. His breath of relief stuck halfway down his throat when she poked her head back inside to glare at him. "Don't for one moment consider yourself to be the benevolent God in this scenario. You, Krayne Johnstone, are the slithering snake that lured Eve to that miserable Maxwell dungeon and I hate you."
Mary... Amber's nursemaid and companion:
Mary watched her, shaking her head in despair. "We cannot spend another night aboard this wreck and well you know it. Our path is clear. You tried your best and now the time has come to admit defeat."

"Never."

"My bones are weary and they've worked hard enough to deserve better than a watery grave."
Graham Douglas...a young Scottish lad with every intention of making his fortune on the high seas as the Phantom of the Atlantic. Nothing much gets him down, but that was before he met Amber!
Women were the devil's reward for being a good, honest Christian.

Ladies were his little helpers sent to see the punishment well executed.

High-born English vixens were the red horns that pricked and festered the bloody wounds.

And Krayne Johnstone was welcome to the lot!

Graham hauled himself onto the deck and strode across the length, booming to each man as he passed their station, "Furl the sails. We go ta beach. Furl the sails and take us in."
Well, it's been fun and a big thanks to Carrie for having me here today! Please feel free to connect with me at my website or my blog.

11 comments:

Claire Robyns said...

*waving" to everyone. Thanks for me having me here, Carrie.

And happy 4th July celebrations to everyone. I live in the UK, so am missing out, but seems like everyone is set for a splendid weekend of festivities.

Judy Croome said...

hi Claire & Carrie
Some great excerpts there Claire. Krayne is a laird who sends shivers up my spine - I love alpha men! Five years of submissions for "Betrayed". Whew. Goes to show one should never give up.

Good luck with your launch!

And happy 4th of July to everyone in the US!
Judy

Claire Robyns said...

Thanks Judy. I will admit I almost gave up on this one a few time, but a certain whip-master kept me on my subbing toes!

Liz Fichera said...

I'm so looking forward to reading this book and I love everything about it--the cover, the premise, the teasy excerpt! ;-) This gets loaded on my Nook next week.

Claire, I'm glad you got to write the book of your heart AND see it published! Congratulations!

Claire Robyns said...

Thanks Liz. And a little heads up - I'm doing an author spotlight on the Carina Press blog on Tuesday, 6th July, and I'll be giving away one free copy of Betrayed to a lucky commentator :)

Rebecca J. Clark said...

Congrats on your upcoming release. I just read my first Carina Press book--Exclusively Yours--and was VERY impressed. You're in good company. I love hearing when a "book of my heart" finds a good publisher.

:)Becky

Claire Robyns said...

Thanks you Rebecca. Exclusively Yours was also the Carina Press book I read and it was brilliant :)

Carrie Lofty said...

Glad to have you here, Claire. Hope your release week is spectacular!

Claire Robyns said...

Thanks Carrie, and thanks to you for having me here.

Sherry Gloag said...

I hope you have a fantasic release week and enjoy every moment of it.

Claire Robyns said...

Thanks Sherry