7/27/10

Despicable Me (2010)

Steve Carell (Gru), Jason Segel (Vector), Russell Brand (Dr. Nefario), Julie Andrews (Gru's Mom)

Directed by Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud

From IMDB: When a criminal mastermind uses a trio of orphan girls as pawns for a grand scheme, he finds himself profoundly changed by the growing love between them.

We took the girls to see this on opening weekend. I really like Steve Carell, and to be honest I was curious about an animated movie that came from neither DreamWorks nor Pixar. How can this be?? The trailer was also very good, with lots of funny gags. Most kid movie trailers make me cringe, like this one. Ew.

I liked this movie for two reasons. First, it worked well for the girls. Some movies for kids try to hard and make the plot overly elaborate, which requires a lot of whispered explanations on my part. I remember Happy Feet being that way, and not just because the girls were younger. Here they laughed, they followed along, and they came away with several favorite parts when the whole thing was finished.

Second, it didn't try to be too scary. Sometimes the suspenseful music and crazy action sequences can simply become too much. This was exciting and engaging in several sequences, but it never went over the top toward genuinely trying to give the kids a heart attack.

And finally, I enjoyed it. I know this must sound self-centered, but any parent who has to sit through children's movies knows what I'm talking about. Pixar set the standard for making kid flicks palatable. My girls would watch just about anything. They have very few standards, so they really cannot be trusted with regard to what is bearable by adult standards.

Despicable Me took the Pixar process a step further by actually making comedy out of the trials of parenthood. I really don't know if people without children would find this as amusing as I did. Much of the humor was aimed directly at parents sitting in the theaters next to their little ones. The comedy was basically derived by holding a mirror up to our lives, especially having daughters. Even Juliette and Ilsa understood the connection. They came away with several "just like me" examples from the film, and why that was funny.

Oh, and the minions stole the show. I can foresee many minions spinoffs in the future, and lots of tie-in toys. But at least for the moment Despicable Me stands by itself as quality, funny family entertainment.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

We don't have kids and Jeff and I liked it just fine. :)

Carrie Lofty said...

You guys serve as my non-kid kid movie litmus testers :)

Kelly McCrady said...

I've had no desire to see this as their marketing and previews did not interest me--in fact they turned me way off. I only found out recently about the whole adopted daughters plotline. Why haven't they pushed that angle on it? Maybe I'll take the kid to the cheap-seats theater when it arrives there. Thanks for the heads-up.

kold_kadavr_ flatliner said...

Earthling ...
When our eternal soul leaves our body at death
and we wiseabove to meet our Maker,
only four, last things remain:
death, judgement, Heaven or Hell
according to the deeds WEE mortals
have done in our Lifelong Demise.

⬆️I'm actually a re-boot NDE⬇️
If you're RIGHT,
you'll see the LIGHT -
follow that to the Elysian Fields.
Let's be tethered2forever Upstairs.

Find-out what RCIA means and join.
Make Your Choice -SAW

⚠️DO NOT⚠️take the Mark of the Beast;
otherwise, we'll be in two, different eternities.