7/17/10

Hospital Visit

So I woke up Thursday morning feeling incredibly dizzy. My first dizzy spell was on Sunday when Liz and I stopped into Starbucks before heading down to Chicago. I was standing in line to buy our lattes when the room began to shift. It started again on Wednesday, all day at my computer. Everything felt it...off. I compared it to a light beer buzz or a sinus headache, when the equilibrium is just slightly wrong.

Thursday was much worse. I woke up exceedingly thirsty, dizzy, nauseous, and convinced I was going to die of iron poisoning or diabetes. WebMD is useful in that it scares the pants off of you and convinces you to head immediately to the doctor. The ER receptionist was playing SCOUNDREL DAYS by a-ha, which I took as a good sign.

The ER doctor diagnosed me with vertigo. (He was as attractive as the name Gerald Lieberman suggests, so I've substituted pictures of The Doctor instead.) I now have equilibrium pills and an appointment to follow up with my GP next week. My mom had vertigo one time when she was about my age, but I remember her as being much worse. Apparently it can come on very suddenly with no advance signs. I feel much better today, not nearly so spinny. Thank goodness for insurance and medication!

11 comments:

Gwen Hayes said...

Scary! And Web MD always freaks me out too. Hope the pills work! Sending you good thoughts.

Eliza Evans said...

Oh, I hope you feel better soon! I had vertigo when I was a teenager and it was pretty scary.

I am not allowed to consult Dr. Google when I am feeling ill. It just makes everything worse.

Kelly McCrady said...

Yikes. Hope you feel better soon. I had a cousin who suffered with this for a couple of weeks once. Dr.s said it would solve itself pretty much = they had no clue how to fix.

On the plus side, you have first hand experience to write into a heroine suffering "dizzy spells" :-)

Michelle Styles said...

Sending get well thoughts. Vertigo is not good and I want to see you in Orlando!!!

Carrie Lofty said...

Thanks for all the well-wishes, everyone. Like I said, I have a follow-up on Tuesday. I'm feeling much better today. Not missing Orlando for anything short of them strapping me down in a hospital ward!

Kristie (J) said...

That must have been rather frightening. I'm glad they found out so quickly what it was and were able to help!!

Jenny Schwartz said...

That sounds scary. I hate being light-headed. Vertigo would be way scarier.

Still, I have to admit when I read your post I went, huh? You see the doctor cause you're dizzy and he diagnoses that you're dizzy? Oookay. I hope Kelly's cousin's experience is true and it resolves itself so you can party at RWA.

Take care of yourself.

Caffey said...

So glad you went Carrie. You know, I learned my lesson before, that its better safe than sorry. A doctor sat me down and told me that if you are ever unsure and its sudden, it doesn't hurt to go to the ER and its the best to do. He said if it ends up not being an emergency, you still learn because only you know your body best! So listen to your body just like you did!!! Thinking of you and huge hugs!!! Cathie

Carrie Lofty said...

Jenny, there was something else going on too (UTI) that I didn't go into. Apparently they can be connected to dizzy spells. I never knew! And Cathie, that's what my husband said. Back to the old "better safe than sorry." Thanks for your concern!

Kelly McCrady said...

Funny how our waste elimination systems can monkey with all sorts of unrelated body processes. Ugh.

Jenny Schwartz said...

I shouldn't have been narky about ER doctors. They do a great job in a stressful environment. And I'm really glad you went in and got everything sorted out.